Activity 3: Maps to the fake news
Students are grouped in small groups and encouraged by teacher to choose and analyze an online news (found on Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, Snapchat and so on). The exercise should be carried out by steps, as a real map for fake news’ hunter.
Personal devices (e.g. smartphones, tablets and so on)
Activity description in steps:
First step: I read.
During this step, it is important to ask myself questions like:
- Did I find the post/news also on other channels?
- Did I read any further information about it on other sources?
- Am I sure that the photo/news has not been manipulated or retouched?
- Have I analyzed the details of the photo/news very well?
Second step: I evaluate.
During this step, I continue to ask myself other questions like:
- What exactly is the information conveyed by the photo/news?
- Why should I share it?
- Is the photo/news funny, useful? Is the photo/news not informative and/or irrelevant?
At this point, if:
- I found the photo/news only on social media
- I did not even find a newspaper in-depth
- I am not sure that the photo/news has not been modified or manipulated
- I cannot decipher what exactly is the information conveyed by the photo/news
I don’t share the news!